As business lawyers, we represent business firms, design and construction professionals, property owners, banks and other lenders, contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers and service contractors as clients on construction, real estate, business, insurance, government contract matters and in all forums for dispute resolution proceedings, including mediation, arbitration, administrative agency hearings, trials, and civil appeals before State and Federal Trial and Appellate courts of every kind, and in trials and hearings before Federal, State and Local government administrative or regulatory agencies throughout Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and the District of Columbia.
We advise and represent smaller and medium sized businesses, professionals and individuals on contracts and other business transactions, disputes and litigation, including:
- Shareholder, Operating, Partnership and Joint Venture agreements, disputes and litigation
- Minority shareholder rights and freeze-outs
- Breach of fiduciary duty claims
- Actions for an Accounting
- Secured Transactions and Uniform Commercial Code ("UCC") documentation, collection, foreclosure, and litigation
- Commercial and residential lease evictions and disputes
- Business debt collection litigation
- Sales and Use Tax
- Business and professional licensing and disciplinary proceedings before State Licensing Boards and agencies.
- Administrative Law, legal proceedings and hearings before Federal, State and Local Government Agencies
- Defense of liability and indemnity claims
- Contract disputes and litigation
- Government contracts and disputes
- Business property damage
- Commercial liability insurance claims, surety bonds
- State and Federal law compliance
- Buy/Sell agreements
- Shareholder disputes
- Fiduciary duty issues
- Noncompetition agreements and litigation
- Breach of contract litigation
- Tortious interference claims
- Closing, liquidation, winding up and dissolutions of Corporations, Limited Liability Corporations and Partnerships and Joint Ventures.
- Mediation, Arbitration and Litigation
We are very familiar with the procedures and advantages of litigation, mediation and arbitration. We can help you determine when arbitration clauses enforceable, when mediation is a worthwhile use of time and money and help you navigate alternative dispute resolution or ADR. Clients need to understand dispute resolution procedures in contracts and the law. Use the correct procedures to preserve rights to payment, speed up claims and lower the costs of dispute resolution.
Our team of litigators, which includes paralegals and law clerks, represent businesses, insurers, owners, developers, contractors, and suppliers involved in litigation. We also represent professionals such as architects and engineers in professional liability cases involving construction defects. Our approach is proactive with a goal towards moving cases to resolution.
If you are involved in a business, shareholder or partner disagreement and you are unable to resolve your differences, you want an experienced business litigation attorney to protect your interests. In litigation, you want a lawyer with courtroom and trial experience - one who has successfully argued before the trial and appellate courts, in arbitration and mediation, and who will know what to anticipate from opposing counsel and how to prepare the best case to protect your rights.
Fullerton & Knowles, P.C. has extensive experience in claims and appeals in states courts in Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and the District of Columbia, to the Federal district court and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. The Firm has Appellate experience before the Federal Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court of Virginia, the District of Columbia Court of Appeals and the federal District Courts of Maryland and Virginia. We assist clients and appear in court regularly in Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax County, Loudoun, Prince William, Fauquier, Stafford, Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, Henrico, Chesterfield, Richmond, Newport News, Hampton, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth and Chesapeake in Virginia; Montgomery County, Prince George County, Anne Arundel County, Charles County, Frederick, Howard County, the City of Baltimore and the County of Baltimore in Maryland.